ON BEING AN INFORMED SPONSOR
Do you know?
We are called to Christianize our environment and one way we do so is to sponsor others to make Cursillo. Sponsorship is a pre-Cursillo, Cursillo proper and post-Cursillo responsibility.
The ideal candidate is one who:
- Has a Christian foundation - 25 years of age or older. (Can be younger if mature).
- Open to spiritual growth or renewal/reaffirmation.
- Psychologically sound.
- Searching and seeking.
- Physically able to participate. Explain to candidates they will sleep on air mattresses. Men and women sleep in separate quarters, so that means husbands and wives will not be sleeping together and because of limitations in accommodations single rooms are not possible.
Cursillo is not a place to send someone who is, or as recently been, in the midst of a personal crisis, e.g., a recent death or divorce.
Your Candidate should know that Cursillo is:
- A short course in Christianity.
- A Christian weekend that is Christ centered.
- Led by laity with some clergy involvement.
- The communion is the Episcopal form of worship and celebrated by an Episcopal priest; all drawn to Christ may partake in the communion of bread and wine/grape juice.
Please explain to the candidate the Weekend format:
- Small talks, called Rollos, are given and table discussions follow.
- Ask your candidate to be open to their experience and to trust you and themselves.
- Tell your candidate what to bring: bedding, including pillow and blankets, or a sleeping bag, for twin bed. Towels and face cloth. Personal items such as, toothbrush and toothpaste, comb and brush, deodorant, soap and shampoo, casual clothes, sweatshirt, jacket, comfy shoes, bathrobe, slippers. Small pillow for use in the Rollo room is optional. Daily dress is casual.
- IMPORTANT! – Any medication needed during the weekend.
- NO watches, cameras, tape recorders, beepers, cell phones, radios or any other personal electronic devices are permitted on the Weekend. NO EXCEPTIONS!!
- The cost of the weekend is $160. However, the cost has already been paid for by the Cursillo Community. Candidates will be asked to donate on the weekend, joining us in furthering in this expression of God’s love. Our hope is to keep the Cursillo experience free for future candidates through community contributions.
As a Sponsor please:
- Keep a steady, stable relationship with your candidate.
- Be willing to meet the needs of the Candidate’s family, or other special needs of the candidate, while they are making the weekend.
- Support your candidate and the team with Palanca, both spiritual as well as visual.
Are you willing to provide Palanca?
- Palanca for bed, table, Rollo room, and prayer – Plan for 20 if you are making Palanca for the candidates only, or 60 if for the candidates and team. Remember - if there is not enough for the candidates it will not be used on the weekend, only on Sunday on the left over table.
- Do not send any kind of Palanca during the weekend. If you contribute Palanca, make sure you have enough for EVERYONE, or designate it as “Candidates only”
- THERE IS TO BE ABSOLUTELY NO PERSONAL PALANCA TO A PARTICULAR CANDIDATE! Please give any personal Palanca to the candidates before Thursday night. Please do not put anything into their luggage or bedding.
Details about being a sponsor:
- Attend the Sponsor’s day a few weeks before the weekend.
- Immediately contact Linda Bettencourt if, for any reason, your candidate cannot attend the weekend. She can be reached at (925) 757 – 8291.
- Be willing to pay for your candidate’s team picture, which is approximately $2.
- Be willing to pay the approximately $5 cost of the candidate’s mug.
- Be willing to pay for the nominal cost of a remembrance candle.
- Do not sponsor more than one person, or couple, per weekend. Co-sponsor if you wish to sponsor more than one person.
- Give your candidate over to the Holy Spirit and team – let go – and support with prayer.
On Thursday you need to:
- Bring your candidate on time as staed in the sponsor's letter. The time is usually 7pm.
- Offer to bring to them anything your candidate thinks is important and have forgotten.
- Refrain from being over-exuberant upon meeting other Cursillistas. Leave promptly when asked.
- For Mananitas attend and respect the team’s suggestions on moving through and bringing flowers.
- Bring NO PERSONAL PALANCA!
For Clausura you will please:
- Need to be there on time as stated by the team.
- Pick up any family members who wish to attend, if that is your candidate’s wish.
- Accept where your candidate is in terms of his/her spiritual journey.
- Spend Sunday evening with your candidate. Homecoming is not a necessity, but hopefully the local Cursillo Community will want to put one together.
- Introduce the new Cursillista to the outside community.
- Be flexible to meet his/her needs as opposed to fulfilling your desires.
As regards the candidate’s Fourth Day you will please:
- Contact, preferably in person, your new Cursillista on their Fourth Day (Monday).
- Be sensitive to where they are.
- Inform them of any Fourth Day groups, or Ultreyas, you might know of.
- Be aware that you responsibility as a sponsor last for 1 year.
ADDITIONAL CANDIDATE APPLICATIONS ARE AVAILABLE HERE AT THE WEBSITE UNDER THE APPLICATIONS/DOCUMENTS LINK.
They are also available from:
John Gishe, lay director
4710 Matterhorn Way
Antioch, CA 94531
revised: March 27, 2013