In 1991, we held two men's, two women's, and one coed Cursillo Weekend. In 2002, we held one men's and one woman's Cursillo Weekend, total. In the early 1990's we averaged 170 to 180+ candidates a year. This year we had a total of 44 candidates!
There is an endless list of ways to criticize, find fault, and make excuses for this situation - all the way from "nobody is sponsoring" to "Secretariat is not doing their job" to, well, I am not even going to talk about problems and negative attitudes.
- IT IS TIME TO BE POSITIVE
- TAKE A LOOK AT A NEW ATTITUDE
- EVALUATE A NEW APPROACH
And THIS IS ONLY IMPORTANT IF CURSILLO IS...
- "A most wonderful experience of Sharing the Love of Christ."
- "Three days" that lead into my "FOURTH DAY" every day.
- "A meaningful weekend that I would like others to experience – friends in my church, my pastor or priest, relatives, etc."
- Sponsoring should begin on our first "FOURTH DAY!"
- Sponsoring should be a daily activity.
- Telling a friend about your weekend.
- Showing someone how much you care about them, by inviting them to be your guest at another Cursillo weekend; bringing them into your 4th day group; building a greater relationship with them.
- Getting their application in NOW, so that when the next weekends are scheduled, they will be among those who have the first opportunity to attend the weekend.
Our current attitude seems to be, "Oh, we have a Cursillo coming up in 4 or 5 weeks. Who can we get to go?"
Wouldn’t it be wonderful if our attitude was, "I want you to have this experience that I had. Let's get your application in NOW. Hopefully, you will be able to attend our next weekend, but if not, perhaps the one that follows. And, if we get enough applications in, Secretariat will schedule more weekends. Surely one of those times will fit your schedule and have a vacancy that you can fill."
This would naturally lead to, "Now that we have submitted your application, we have the opportunity to build a relationship, get better acquainted, and have you attend some 4th day group meetings. That way, when you do attend a Cursillo weekend, you will know how much I really do care for you. More important, you will truly experience a greater expression of the Love of Christ and how you can share it with others."